Hi my name is Shazarré, I’m a singer-songwriter. As someone who writes music for a living, and someone who has also purchased songwriting services, I want to share my knowledge and resources with you.
5 Tips when Hiring a songwriter!
When hiring a songwriter there’s a lot to think about, below is a list of must-haves in order to ensure you have the perfect writer, and tools needed to guarantee your project’s success.
- YOUR IDEA Believe it or not the #1 thing you’re going to need is your idea. When seeking a songwriter, you should kind of already have an idea of what your vision is for the project. The songwriter’s job is to make that vision as real as possible, but in order to do that it’s going to require a little teamwork. So on a piece of paper(you can also type this up on your phone), write out your vision for this project, and try to be as detailed as possible. By doing this, you will also have a better idea of the kind of songwriter you’re looking for!
- GENRE When choosing a songwriter, the Genre of your music is very important. You want to hire someone who specializes in your genre. So beware of the writers that claim they write every genre! Ever heard of the saying “Jack of all trades, master of none?”, when it comes to music you want to stay away from that. However, it’s perfectly fine and typical if a writer says they write all types of music, but lets you know WHICH type of music they specialize in. This is important because you want to make sure you’re hiring someone well-equipped to bring your vision to life.
- Portfolio A professional songwriter will have a portfolio of their past work for you to observe before deciding to make a purchase. Beware of songwriters who don’t! Even if the work is not professionally published, they should have material to show you an example of what you’re purchasing. That way you, and the songwriter both have clear expectations of the work expected. Why? because typically with creative work you don’t get a refund (mostly due to customers asking for a refund and still use the work after receiving a refund), but you can ask for a few revisions. For example : “please change this line in the hook” or “that key is off in the melody” and etc. When looking through the portfolio, be aware that this is your chance to see the quality of the writers work, and compare it with what you have envisioned. This is usually, and should be the main deciding factor on whether you will purchase are not.
- Budget When it comes to songwriting you can get prices as little as 5$, to prices ranging in the thousands. Why? because every songwriter is different, and every project is different. Every songwriter has different experiences throughout their career, which determines what they feel their services are worth. Every project a songwriter receives, is also different, usually the more work a project requires, the more it will cost. Therefore, before starting your search it’s important to know what budget you have set for your project, which will also help you narrow down your options.
- Bonus! (If the songwriter has a portfolio this is not necessary but certainly helpful) Are you able to check the reviews? Reviews are a great indicator of how you will feel once you have your work completed. Remember, whoever is leaving that review is a person just like you. Like you they had a project and went to that writer. So, how they feel is very valuable, and is something you should take into consideration when you’re searching. You want to ask yourself “Do I want to feel how they feel?” if that question is a “no” you probably shouldn’t hire that writer.
5 Top websites and price ranges!
When searching for songwriting services there are thousands of websites that pops up on google.
It can be kind of time-consuming to go through all of them, and a lot of the websites does not list their prices, so it’s an even lengthier process to figure out what to expect as far as price range. **I have not used the services of all the websites below, however, they would be the websites I check out because they all have the qualifications I recommend.
The best part about these websites is, they let you know what price to expect upfront, and they all have fast turnaround time options.
- Fiverr [Screenshot of their songwriters category] Pricing: From 5$-200$+ (average at 85$)|Turnaround time: From 24 hours+ I love Fiverr! They have a very transparent platform that gives their users access to reviews, portfolio, and direct messaging of the seller that they might be thinking about purchasing from. The platform is made for freelancers, so if you have a project that doesn’t fit exactly into the description of what a seller is selling, you do have the option to message them directly and have them create a custom offer for you. You can also post a proposal and have freelancers reach out to you! The sellers are very responsive, and offer some of the best prices in the songwriting market (or any creative market really), which is why Fiverr is my #1 go to for songwriting services.
- Airgigs Pricing: From 5$-5000$ (average is 300$)|Turnaround time: 24 hours+ Airgigs is very similar to Fiverr and basically offer the same things, except you can’t post a proposal and have a freelancer reach out to you. Also, the sellers are not as responsive on this platform which might be due to the lack of traffic.
- Soundbetter Pricing: From 100$+ (average is 300$ but they have popular services as high as $2000)|Turnaround time: 24 hours+ Soundbetter is a platform brought by Spotify for artists. It’s a little more costly, but also has some of the best talent when it comes to the choice of songwriters to choose from. A lot of the freelancers on the platform are accredited professionals that have worked with big name brands like Apple, and famous musicians like Beyoncé. They also offer other services like mixing and mastering which, almost all of these platforms listed here do too as well.
- Demomysong Pricing: From 250$-1450$|Turnaround time: 2-3 weeks Demomysong is a little different with it not being freelancer based, but still matches all the criteria(s). I like it because there’s not too many options to choose from, and they get straight to the point of what I will receive.
- Womenincharg3 Music Group Pricing: From 75$-800$|Turnaround time: 7days Womenincharg3 music group is also not freelancer based and, also matches all the criteria(s). They are a music awards show, music licensing, songwriting and internet radio for Female Independent Music Artist of all genre but they do write for men too.
You Can Write It Yourself!
Before trying any of these options, you might want to consider writing the song yourself. If this Idea is new to you, you might feel yourself reject it, it’s okay… Just give it an honest real try. It’s actually kind of fun, and if you enjoy trying (whether you failed or not) take it from there.
My songwriting services
As I mentioned before, I am a singer-songwriter myself. I specialize in Pop, Hip-Hop, R&B, and Afro-caribbean music; but I’ve written all types. I’ve written for hundreds of people and have a loyal following of repeat customers. My services and many more can be found on my website, and I’m happy to announce that I’m one of the 5 star sellers on Fiverr; so you can find me there as well. If you’re interested in knowing more about me you can check me out here! (This link will redirect you to my Instagram Page).
At the end of the day there’s not a one-size fits all approach to hiring a song-writer. Above I’ve mentioned some ideas and tips, but in the end just do what truly resonates with you.